Monday, January 16, 2012

No school today!

At 6am the alarm rings.  I vaguely remember that there is no school today and I begin to calculate:  subtract 1/2 hour for breakfast time and scripture study with Gabe.  I hit the snooze button on the alarm.  No sleeping beyond that though.  I am committed to loose 8 pounds before we head off to Spain in March,  which means the treadmill awaits.  Drats.  I roll out of bed, check the weather through the window, and include my gratitude in personal prayer for a few snow flurries (accompanied by Highland's famous intense wind).  We are in a bit of a draught so we are asking for moisture in our prayers, both privately and publicly.  With that said, I have to have a smile on my face for cold snowy days.... who would have thought?  A quick breakfast and 3 miles later I open the BOM, read about the interpretation of the vision, indulge in some of Joseph Allen's "Geography of the Book of Mormon", and then begin the days work. David has years of tapes and a new machine that converts tapes to MP3's onto the computer.  It works great, except that each tape has to play at regular speed.  Do the math.  We are talking about hours, days, weeks, of listening to, flipping over, labeling in itunes,  you get the picture.  Time to begin.  I hit a glitch.  One set (that is 4 tapes, both sides) doesn't work.  Start over.  Still doesn't work.  Hugh!!  I set it aside with a silent curse and move onto the next set. I am a woman, so I multitask at the same time.  Three loads of laundry while I work on Grant and Brittany's wedding picture book (a few years late, but oh well).  Time to wake the boys.  Connor showed up unexpectedly last night, so I rouse both sons.  They do a few chores, I cut Connor's hair,  then at 11am Gabe announces that he and his friends want to have breakfast.  Can I host it here and make omelets or crepes?  Hmmm,  I am not David.  I suggest french toast.  Noon:  his friends arrive in PJs and pitch in with the cooking.


Dane Douglas (best friend to Gabe and pseudo son of ours) was suppose to spend the night.  I remember that his dad woke me up at 1:00 am to check where he was.  I get up to see if he has landed in our beds.  "No" I tell his frustrated dad. 
Me: Dane, where were you last night?
Dane:  I fell asleep at a girl's house.  I know I am so bad.
Me:  We will talk later SON, but for now you are on the cleanup crew, step into my office before you leave this house.
Dane:  Busted. 
Kids: Zach, why aren't you in PJs?
Zach:  I sleep in the rough.
Scarface:  Gabe went to a bonfire on Saturday night with his friends.  He woke David and I at midnight and announced he had burned his face.  Hope the vitamin E does the job...
Beth:  Sorry about Gabe's face.  I was just waving the hot screwer around, and....
Back to work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment