Friday, June 22, 2012

It's getting hot

I went on a bike ride this morning and headed up the hill to Draper. There is a certain spot that I always stop at to take in the view of the valley below, but today it was filled with a huge plume of smoke coming from Saratoga Springs from across the lake.  I knew that a fire had started yesterday, as I spent some time with Kara and my granddaughters at the Highland City splash pad, and she had gotten a call from a neighbor informing her.  The fire department however was saying not to worry, that it would be contained by today.  Wrong.  I got nervous and headed back down the hill to call Kara.  She was calling me as I reached for my phone.  "Mom, I am getting nervous, can you come help us evacuate?"  It seemed to have smoldered to white smoke by the time I got there, and we debated for about 1/2 hr wether to leave or not.  Then it seemed to be one hot spot after another popping up on the hills just above them.  Helicopters were filling up from Utah Lake and dumping right near them as well as planes full of retardant.  Time to leave!  Craig stayed behind, but now they are saying mandatory evacuations.  Saying prayers....
 
 Notice the plane at mid left of picture
 The red is retardant just dropped by a plane now hidden in smoke

No comments:

Post a Comment